- Text Size +

Bring Him Home Chapter 37

 

We were still all standing around looking at the clippings when Jasper came running into the office.

 

"Tell me you haven't touched anything" he said. His face fell when he noticed nearly all of us had at least one piece of paper in our hands.

 

"Well that takes care of the forensic evidence" he said glaring at Alice.

 

"Don't get mad at me, by the time I remembered what you'd said it was too late" she said folding her arms and pouting.

 

"I'm sorry Jasper I never thought about that, we were just curious as to what was in there." I explained as Jasper put a large bag down on the floor.

 

He snapped on a pair of latex gloves, which I thought was rather over the top seeing as we had already pawed over every piece, and carefully started looking over the lid and the tray. He picked up several of the half chewed chocolates and placed them all in separate bags and then he did the same to the pieces of papers that were still in the bottom of the box.

 

He then carefully peeled the sticky tape from the wrapping paper and bagged that and carefully cut out the label that had been stuck on.

 

"Ok I've got enough for what I need I just want to take some photo's then you can throw everything away, unless you want to let the police know" Jasper said as he collected a part of the lid and the tray.

 

"Let's just get rid of them" I said as I gathered all the clippings together and put them in a folder on my desk. The chocolates went straight into the bin.

 

"Ok Bella do you have ten minutes? I need to bring you up to date with what I've found" Jasper said as he almost bundled me through to my office.

 

"Don't we need Esme?" I asked but he shook his head.

 

"No I want to speak to you first"

 

We settled down in my office and he started talking and I was stunned to realise that Esme's ex-husband knew my Dad.

 

"So this is about me then? He's trying to get at me because my Dad arrested him several times"

 

"While I don't believe in coincidences Bella, I'm not sure that this is about you. I still think the real reason for all this is to try and free or at least get a retrial for James Hunter, Volturi specialises in that sort of work. I think what has happened is that someone has reached out to his friend and partner in crime Sam Black once they managed to find Esme here in Chicago the fact she worked for you was probably an added bonus. I have no doubt it was Volturi who found Esme and told Hunter's new wife. Once they knew where Esme was then it was only a matter of time until they realised that Sam's younger brother was here in the city as well"

 

"His brother, you mean Sam's brother?"

 

"Yes he has a younger brother called Jacob, who I believe you are acquainted with?" the way his eyebrow raised and his smile went up at one side told me all I needed to know.

 

"Shit! Jacob is involved with all this?"

 

"Yes "

 

"Do you have a photo of Sam and Jacob; you know just so I'm sure?" I knew what he was telling me made sense but I just couldn't believe what was unfolding.

 

"Here, it's a few years old but it's amazing what you can find on Facebook." Jasper passed me his iPad and there, as large as life, was Jacob and another guy who was obviously just an older version of him were beaming at me from the screen.

 

"I think I'm going to be sick again" I said as I ran into the bathroom.

 

When I came back out Jasper had brought me some water and was sitting patiently waiting for me.

 

"Are you ok?" he asked as I sat down.

 

"Yes, I am so let's go over what happens now" I said

 

"Well the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to get Volturi here and show him all the evidence. If we can convince him he is actually being played we can probably put a stop to the rest of the videos, what we can't guarantee is that we can stop the new Mrs Hunter trying again in the future. That needs some thinking about." Jasper explained.

 

"Let's get Esme in and explain everything to her, she needs to know what's happening and what you've found so far" I said as I walked out of the office to find her.

 

An hour later Esme was totally up to date, she knew all about the connection to me and my Dad and all about ‘the new wife' and as Jasper explained his plan to contact Mr Volturi and explain everything to him she surprised by offering some new information.

 

"If you need some evidence to prove that it was James that hurt me I can provide you with that" she explained.

 

"What do you mean, are you talking about new evidence?" Jasper asked her.

 

"Well, it's not exactly new, it just wasn't used at the trial because I asked my lawyer not to, we agreed that he would only use it at the very last second if it looked like James was going to get off"

 

"What is it?" Jasper was getting excited. I could see he was trying really hard to keep calm.

 

"Well after the second time he beat me so badly I ended up in hospital, I arranged to have some camera's put in a few rooms in the house. I had to wait until I knew James was going to go away for a few days so I got everything pre-arranged and paid for with the company and put them on notice so that they knew they had to come in and out quickly. I got their name from a charity that works out of the hospital, they specialise in helping women who are being abused get evidence. I could afford to pay so I did and they knew that when I called they would have to work fast and clean so no one would ever know they had been in. I could turn on the cameras with a small remote control that I kept in my bra so all I had to do was push against my breast and the filming would start. It was transmitted back to their offices somehow and they had the copies which were lodged with my attorney for safe keeping. I stayed long enough to get make sure the evidence was clear he was abusing me and after he beat me that last time, well as you know he almost killed me so he was arrested as soon as the company saw what was happening."

 

"Esme are you telling me that the recordings are all still with your attorney?" Jasper was almost bouncing in his chair and for a second I wondered who was actually worse, him or Alice?

 

"Yes they are, he's keeping them just in case he tries to go for a retrial or early parole or anything" she explained.

 

"Can you introduce me to your attorney Esme he and I need to have a chat and very soon?"

 

"Yes no problem, but that doesn't help Bella and her problem with Jacob, does it?" she said

 

Hearing my name made me sit up and listen to what they were saying, somewhere I must have drifted off because I was thinking about Edward and what he must have gone through, my hand was on top of the folder and I was rubbing backwards and forwards across it.

 

"What about me?" I asked

 

"What are we going to do about Jacob, what do you think he's trying to achieve?" Esme asked

 

"I don't think he is trying to achieve anything, he is just being a pest really, well not even that, I haven't seen or heard from him in ages"

 

"Well you need to be extra vigilant now Bella. Make sure you and Esme are safe at all times, I'd feel happier if you came and stayed with me and Alice for a while" Jasper suggested.

 

"That won't be necessary I'll be fine and if I do have any problems it will be here in the office, I'm secure at home" I assured him.

 

Esme and Jasper went off to arrange for him to speak to her attorney so I was left with my thoughts and the folder of clippings on my desk, the big question now was should I tell Edward I had them or should I wait for him to be ready to talk to me?

 

I pondered over the thought but I couldn't seem to reach any sort of decision, I was just putting the folder away in my desk drawer when I heard the unmistakeable roar of Emmett's voice in the outer office, it seemed that Rosalie has made the decision for me.

 

 

 

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

 

So loads more information for you, I hope everything is starting to fall into place.

 

If I haven't replied to your review, I'm sorry, keeping two stories going is proving a little more difficult than I originally imagined. I read every review and I take in all your views and suggestions so thank you for taking the time to review.

 

 

You must login (register a new account) to review.