- Text Size +

Bring Him Home Chapter 35

 

BPOV

 

I think, watching him walk away after our ‘date' was one of the loneliest points of my life. To the outside world I had everything, a lovely home, my health, my business, plenty of money in the bank and friends I cared about, but standing with my back pressed against the door I felt tired, weary, unloved and alone. I needed a connection to my Dad and the only way I could do anything close to that was to speak to someone who knew him.  I knew it was late but I was sure she wouldn't mind me calling

 

"Hi Mrs Webber, I know it's late but I just needed to hear a friendly voice" I said as the tears started to run down my cheeks. I looked at the clock and realised I'd forgotten all about the time difference and that it wasn't that late in Forks, but still probably after her bedtime.

 

"Honey it's fine you know you can call me any time. How are you Sweetheart? I haven't heard from you in ages and you haven't called me back from the messages I've left for you" just hearing her voice soothed me, I'd known her the entire time I'd lived in Forks with my Dad and she had taken me in when he'd died, she was the closest thing I'd had to a Mother.

 

"I'm ok I'm just feeling a bit low, I miss my Dad so much you know "

 

"Hey it's alright to miss him and think about him, you should keep him alive in your thoughts, talk to him Bella, he might not answer you but it might just give you that little bit of peace you need"

 

We chatted for a few more minutes before I heard the Pastor ask if there was a problem and I realised I'd probably woken then both up. I said my goodbyes and felt just a little lighter as I got ready for bed.

 

An hour later as I lay looking at the ceiling I realised I wasn't going to sleep any time soon, so I had a choice, kindle, late night film, box set or the internet. I turned up the thermostat and made my way into the kitchen to put the coffee on and make waffles. As the batter cooked I reached for my laptop and opened it. My first thought was to look at the Forks PD home page so I could see how everybody was doing. Billy my Dad's deputy had taken over after his death and was still chief as far as I knew.

 

As I scrolled through the pages, I couldn't help but smile, there was an ongoing protest about the one set of traffic lights in the town, they were apparently causing accidents because people forgot they were there, there was the usual bear warnings and a few reports of teenagers being stupid and drinking and lighting bonfires. It seems things never really change in a small town.

 

As I made coffee I had a sudden urge to google Carlisle's wife, truth be told I wanted to google Edward but seeing as he'd been off the grid for years I wasn't sure what I would find, so I racked my brains to see if he had ever mentioned her first name. I knew her maiden name was Platt and her married name was Cullen but that was all. I typed in Carlisle's name and once I sorted through all the business stuff I was able to find a news report about his wife Elizabeth Cullen nee Platt.

 

I took the laptop and my coffee and waffles to the dining table and started to sort through what I could find. From what I could tell she had been killed in a car accident, she was alone in the car and had been driving into the city at night, the reports said that the investigation had shown she was talking on her mobile phone at the time of the accident, the tyre track evidence seemed to point to her swerving to avoid something and going of the road into a crash barrier.

 

As I read the report over and over again it was obvious that it was one of those situations where the truth had probably died with Mrs Cullen. Only she would know what she had swerved to miss be it another car, a pedestrian or even an animal. The fact she was on her phone wouldn't have helped either. For a second I wondered who she had been talking to and Edward's face popped into my mind, surely he hadn't heard her die.

 

I decided not to go any further, I could have just scanned the pages and pages of articles on the Cullen's but I realised I really didn't want to find out anything that way. Despite the fact that I had spent too many hours sifting through articles and reports to do research on my clients and potential clients I had always made it a rule to try and stick with facts and not rumours. I wanted Edward to want to tell me, that was what was at the heart of all this, I knew I was being pushy and I probably should back off a little but he had really got under my skin and I actually cared about him. The other thing that was bothering me was when I did my initial research on Carlisle Cullen I must have come across the reports of his wife death and I knew if I went to look at my files there may even be notes in there about Edward and his disappearance. I would have filed it all away, just keeping the basics that I needed to get through the original meeting and him having a missing son would definitely not have come up in any sort of business meeting.

 

So decision to stop looking made it was time to put on a DVD, I needed to catch up on how Claire and Jamie were getting on in Outlander, my new favourite box set.

 

I woke late the next morning, still in front of the TV, it's been ages since I've done that, but I'd got into the classic situation where I couldn't stop watching. Just one more episode then I'll go to bed meant I was still watching about 4.00am. I looked at my watch and it was already 10.30am, Edward had said he would be around this afternoon so I needed to get a move on. I made myself some breakfast and coffee, showered and tided around, there was only me so ‘tidy round' meant a quick dust, sweep the floors and wash out the bathroom. Everything else was cleaned as I used it. The only thing I really needed to do was drop my dry cleaning off, and that could wait until tomorrow if necessary. I sat down for a refill about 12.00 noon and was tempted to watch the next episode that was already lined up when there was a knock on my front door. Now I knew it had to be someone Albert knew and was on the list or one of my neighbours so I didn't bother checking, I swung open the door to find Edward standing there.

 

"Oh I wasn't expecting you for a while yet" was the stupid comment that left my mouth before my brain could stop it.

 

"Oh well if you are busy I can come back later, I mean technically it is just after noon" he smiled as he said the last part and I checked the clock on the wall, yep it was 12.05pm so it was after noon.

 

"No don't be silly, you just caught me by surprise that's all, come in come in"

 

I opened the door and he stepped through and I noticed for the first time he was holding flowers and a package.

 

"These are for you, to say sorry for last night" he thrust the flowers at me, they were simple and pretty, nothing elaborate but not just supermarket bunches, they were from a florist. I couldn't help compare them to the monstrosity Jacob had sent, these were so much more me.

 

I took them and said thank you and went to find a vase, once they were in water and on the side I looked around to see him stood nervously still in the doorway.

 

"Come in Edward, it's ok "

 

He took a few steps forward and I couldn't decide if he was trying to figure out where to sit or what to do with the package he clutched in his hands.

 

"If you don't want to sit on the couch we can sit at the kitchen Island or even at the dining table if you feel more comfortable." I wanted him to be relaxed with me so I was prepared to go with whatever he wanted.

 

"Sorry I'm being stupid, let's sit " he said as he walked towards the couch and sat down.

 

He was still clutching the package so I ignored it and asked him if he wanted anything to drink and if he was hungry.  Small talk out of the way, coffee for me and water for him, we were soon both just sat staring at a blank television screen.

 

"So what do you fancy doing this afternoon? We could watch a movie, I could introduce you to my new favourite box set, or we could go for a walk in the park or around the block" I was determined to get him to relax, he looked so stiff and uncomfortable.

 

"Do you mind if we stay in? I bought snacks " and with that he thrust the package at me .

 

"What's this?"

 

"Well I was hoping we could stay in and talk, maybe watch a movie or something and I didn't know whether you would have had lunch or brunch or anything so I picked up food."

 

I put the package on the table in front of me and unwrapped it, inside was two huge deli sandwiches, a couple of packets of potato chips, a carton of pickles and two portions of cheesecake. The servings were huge and I knew there was probably enough food for four people.

 

"Wow this should keep us going for the rest of the day, why don't you take off your jacket and shoes, get comfortable and I'll introduce you to Outlander."

 

 

 

EPOV

 

"I can do this, Bella isn't her, she's honest and she wants to get to know me for me. I can do this"

 

 It's just after noon and I ‘m pacing up and down the hallway outside of Bella's apartment. I said I would come over in the afternoon and it is afternoon now.

 

"Come on Cullen you can do this, just knock on the door and say hello" I say to myself as I stand looking at her front door.

 

"This is ok, both Dad and Emmett like her and she has done everything she can to help me" I keep talking to myself while I get my nerves under control, I want this I really do, I just need to learn to trust again. I force myself to knock on to the door before I change my mind and wait for her to answer.

 

As soon as she does my nerves settle and when I'm finally sat down on the couch looking at her, I know I will be able to do this. It might take time but I will be able to do this.

You must login (register a new account) to review.