- Text Size +

Bring Him Home - Chapter 28

 

I tossed and turned all night. I couldn't decide whether I was apprehensive, excited, nervous or just damn right scared. The cool, calm, organised business woman seemed to be slowly disappearing as the clock slowly ticked on towards morning. I did sleep eventually and when the alarm finally went off I just wanted to turn over and go back to sleep. As I went through my usual morning routine I was kicking myself that I hadn't tried to change the date to dinner, that way I could have had a nap this afternoon but as I looked in the mirror I couldn't help but giggle as the realisation struck me, I was going on a lunch date with Edward.

 

Now I'd discounted the disastrous evening with Jacob, and whilst this wasn't a date as such, it wasn't a business meeting either, so it was a lunch date with a new friend. This felt different and I was excited because I wanted to spend time with Edward. I was really looking forward to getting to know him as the person he is and not the homeless guy I met a few weeks ago. As I dressed for my day I took extra care, I had no appointments this afternoon unless something happened with Jasper, so I wanted to look stunning so he wouldn't be able to resist me, but to be honest I didn't know how to.  I put on my favourite navy suit with a pale pink silk shirt underneath, my eventual attempt at stunning was a pair of 5" inch heels I wouldn't normally wear to the office. I tried to style my hair and put on a small amount of makeup but to be honest I looked like I did every day, just a little more polished and elegant I hoped.

 

As I made my way to work I still hadn't booked anywhere to eat, I knew he was still not up to eating a huge meal so I decided on a little Bistro about fifteen minutes away from my office. I figured that way if everything went ok we could have a steady walk back.

 

The morning flew by, luckily it was drama free but still no word from Jasper, and it was suddenly time to leave. I was a nervous wreck as I finally slipped quietly out to go for lunch, I hadn't said anything to any of the girls because I wasn't ready for the questions and teasing. The weather was good but for once I decided against walking, these heels were just a little too high for two trips, so as I sat in the cab I tried to decide whether to go around the block again or to just ‘man up' and go and wait for him inside.

 

As the cabbie decided to play his favourite collection of operatic music at full blast, he made the decision easy for me so I quickly paid him and made my way inside. I was about 15 minutes early so I asked the hostess to seat me and I informed her I was waiting for a friend. As soon as I told her my name she looked behind me and I could tell she was trying to decide something. I turned to see what was holding her attention and there he sat, Edward, alone at the table pulling apart a piece of bread.

 

"I see my date" yep I said date to the bitch that really thought about not telling me he was here" I'll just go and join him"

 

I took a deep breath and walked towards him, the smile on my face for once genuine and not just the business one in place to greet a client.

 

"Hi Edward, I hope I haven't kept you waiting?"

 

He looked up at me and his face was panic stricken

 

"Hey what's the matter, surely the thought of having lunch with me isn't that bad is it?" I felt my smile slip, was he having second thoughts about having lunch with me.

 

"Erm no I'm sorry, I was miles away and you startled me, please take a seat"

 

He stood up and pulled out my chair, the first time anyone other than a waiter had done that for me.

 

"Bella does someone know you here, did you leave word at the office where we are?"

 

"No Edward I didn't, I wanted to get to know you, spend some time with you before the questions and the teasing started, why is that important?"

 

"I have a lot to tell you Bella, to explain why and where I've been for the last few years, but as you so rightly pointed out, we should get to know each other first"

 

I have to admit my curiosity was almost out of control, I wanted to know everything about him but I could see he was really on edge.

 

"Would it help if I rang the office and let Judy know where I was?"

 

He nodded smiling, it was a really genuine smile and his whole face lit up, one look like that and I knew I was in trouble because I would do anything to see that smile on his face all the time.

 

I called the office and when Judy answered I told her where I was, who I was having lunch with and an approximate time I would be back. All Judy did was ask me if I was ok and when I said yes she hung up.

 

"There, feel better?" I asked as I turned my phone off and put it in my bag.

 

"Much now let's order" he said as he looked around for the waitress.

 

The menu was simple but tasty so we both ordered the house salad, Edward ordering extra chicken and asparagus and a bowl of fries to share.

 

Once we got over the first 20 minutes or so we both relaxed and the conversation picked up. We talked about my favourite books and films, food all manner of things. Edward asked question after question but every time I tried to ask one back he just glossed over it and asked another question. Eventually I got a little annoyed and decided to just ask him what was the matter.

 

"Come on Edward you have to give me something here, why won't you answer my questions or talk about yourself?"

 

"Bella I haven't watched a film or TV, read a book or eaten a proper meal for years so I'm not really up on what is current at the moment" he explained.

 

"You must have favourites from before, what did you love in College"

 

That was the wrong thing to say, I'm very good at reading people's body language and as soon as I mentioned College his face dropped and that beautiful smile I'd been basking in disappeared.

 

"What have I said?" I asked and I knew that I would have a hard time getting the date back on track.

 

"College for me is tainted with some extremely bad memories, most of which I have come to terms with, but coming home has brought some further issues up and my Dad and Emmett want me to deal with them and see a counsellor but I'm not ready to do that at the moment. It's causing a little bit of tension at home" he said sadly.

 

"Hey whatever it is I know your Dad and Emmett love you and have missed you. I was there when Emmett realised it was you and your Dad saw you for the first time in years. They were both so relieved, and whilst I'm not sure of all the circumstances the only thing they cared about was the fact they had found you"

 

His face lit up a little at that and I could tell he was relaxing slightly.

 

I reached across and placed my hand on top of his, his skin was a little rough and weathered but the tingling and warmth that ran straight up my arm and down my spine surprised me. I fought the urge to remove my hand, I didn't want to sever the connection between us, but the tingling was definitely increasing in strength. It was as though the longer we stayed physically connected the stronger the sensation.

 

Slowly he brought his other hand up and placed it on top of mine so my hand was sandwiched between his and the warmth was amazing. I felt my whole body relax and for the first time ever I wanted someone, physically. This surprised me, I'd long since come to the conclusion I was probably asexual but maybe just maybe I wasn't.

You must login (register a new account) to review.