- Text Size +

Bring Him Home - Chapter 15

 

We sat waiting on the bench for what seemed like hours, the longer we waited the more agitated Emmett became. Soon he was up on his feet pacing up and down in front of the bench. The third time his phone rang I finally snapped.

 

"Answer your phone Emmett please, someone really needs to talk to you" I felt bad instantly for snapping at him so I started to apologise but finally he had answered it.

 

"No he is a no show at the moment, I knew this was too good to be true, why would he suddenly decided to show himself now?"

 

Whoever he was talking to was in full flow and Emmett just kept nodding his head and making positive noises into the phone.

 

"Holy shit I had no idea, to be honest I don't really give any thought to why anymore, just to finding him" he said.

 

A few minutes later as he finished his call and sat back down next to me,

 

 "He's not coming is he?"

 

I looked at my watch and it was already 7.30 pm.

 

"It doesn't look like it, I'm sorry I was so sure he would be here, he seemed to make such an effort to actually make contact with me and I know the sole purpose was to help him get to see you"

 

"I don't understand why he just didn't come into the gym and ask for me"

 

"Oh I can explain that, he had tried to see you but I think your staff probably threw him out thinking he was just some homeless person looking for a hot shower and somewhere warm to sit. I suppose you can't blame them, it's not really what your clients want to see is it."

 

"No I suppose not and as much as I'd love to help I really don't want every homeless person in the city thinking it's ok to drop in for a shower, coffee and a warm. Shit how awful does that sound? I need to do something to help him."

 

The pacing started again and he turned to me a scared look in his eye, "Bella do you think Edward has been living rough for long, I mean could you tell by looking at him?"

 

"Well his clothes were very dirty, he has quite a full straggly beard and he looked generally unkempt. What really surprised me though was that he hardly spoke, in fact the only time I've heard him speak he seemed almost surprised at the sound of his own voice, as though he hadn't heard it in such a long time."

 

Emmett sat down and for the first time since meeting him I saw him start to break down, he sat with the face in his hands, his elbows resting on his knees and I swear I could hear small sobs. I wasn't sure how to comfort the poor guy, it wasn't something I'd ever had to do before but I did what came naturally and tried to put my small arm around him. I actually only managed to reach three quarters of the way across his back but the gesture was there and I hoped it was ok.

 

"Bella he's not coming so let's get out of here, this is no place to be when it gets dark".

 

It was the first time Emmett had spoken in half an hour, he'd composed himself and we had sat in silence, watching the runners, the dog walkers and the young couples holding hands as they had sauntered past. I could tell he was hoping each figure that came into view would be Edward but each time I felt his shoulders drop as he realised it wasn't.

 

We walked back towards our office block and all I could think about was why Edward hadn't shown, he seemed so desperate to speak to Emmett. As we stood in front of the building I had an idea that might give him a clue where to find Edward.

 

"You know you could try and go around a few of the shelters and soup kitchens, I know he uses the one across town I volunteer at sometimes, maybe he got a place at a shelter and couldn't leave or something. There are a thousand reasons that could have stopped him meeting us tonight".

 

I leant forward to give him a hug, he really seemed to need it. We stood on the steps to the entrance of our building and must have looked a strange site. There was probably a good foot and a bit more in height difference and a hundred pounds, but we hugged like long lost family, I could just tell he really needed the closeness. Unfortunately the moment was broken.....

 

"Well no wonder you wouldn't come out for dinner with me, you have very strange taste in men Bella, one minute you are on your back for street scum and next it's the local steroid king"

 

Before I could even get out a reply Emmett had punched Jake in the face.

 

"You worthless piece of shit! Do not ever speak to Bella like that again"

 

As Jake sat on the ground staring up at us, blood dripping from his nostril, his cronies with him were too shocked to do anything, they didn't even offer to help him up, so it was up to me to actually help him.

 

"Bella leave him down there where he belongs" Emmett snapped.

 

 I leaned forward and held out my hand so I could help him stand up and when he was upright I brushed off his jacket and straightened his tie,

 

 "Jake if you ever say anything like that again, it won't just be Emmett that punches you, who I spend time with has absolutely nothing to do with you and I can assure you I don't give second chances, so run along before I really lose my temper"

 

 I hadn't realised I was still holding onto his tie and I was pulling it tighter and tighter.

 

As soon as I let go of his tie he reached up and loosened it as well as opening his top button. One of the others had handed him a handkerchief and he was busy trying to stop the constant dribble of blood from his nostril. He looked at me and then Emmett and then back at me,

 

"Well Bella, you really have set quite the challenge now. I was betting on you being some uptight career woman who liked a quick fuck and several shots of liquor, and that you wouldn't be particular in what order they came, but I can see I'm going to need to wine and dine you to get you into my bed. I am seriously going to have to up my game but I promise you one thing, one way or another you will be in my bed and I don't share, unless it's on my terms, so think on"

 

He gestured to his colleagues and they walked off towards one of the bars on the concourse, but not before he looked back and pointed at me. I got his message loud and clear, I was going to have to watch out for him.

 

"Sorry about that Bella, I don't know what angered me more, the street scum reference, the steroids or that thought of him being anywhere near you."

 

"Don't worry about me Emmett I can look after myself, I have an excellent self-defence coach remember" I tried to keep my reply light, tonight he had had enough without me putting any more strain on his shoulders.

 

"Are you ready to tell me who Edward is Emmett? I can't help you if I don't know the details"

 

"I'll talk to my Dad tonight, he is going to be heartbroken when I tell him he didn't show, and if he is ok with me telling you I'll talk to you tomorrow ok"

 

With that we said good night and went our separate ways. My apartment was only a couple of blocks away from the office so I was soon home, just as I had stripped off my work clothes and put on some cosy pyjamas my phone rang. It wasn't unusual for it to ring at night, people did stupid things at all time of the day and night and in this time of instant social media I was always on call.

 

I answered the phone without even checking the number so I was startled by the voice on the other end

 

"Hello is this Miss Isabella Swan?"

 

"It is, who is calling please "

 

"Hello Miss Swan, I am Dr Harvey from the University hospital, we have a John Doe in our ER and the only thing he has on his person was your business card, do you have any idea who he might be?"

 

For a second I couldn't think, but then it hit me, it had to be Edward, he hadn't shown tonight because he couldn't.

 

"I'm on my way Dr Harvey, give me half an hour".

 

 

 

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

 

I'm posting early tonight to make up for the fact I'll be late posting this weekend. It's my birthday on Friday and I'm off to a posh spa with AJG and Ladyletters for a few days. It's such a shame Edlovesme and a few more of you can't join us but next time maybe yes.

 

 

You must login (register a new account) to review.