- Text Size +

The feast was over, and Huxvey made the food vanish before our very eyes. "Students, please go to bed now, you will have a big day tomorrow," She announced.

We all got up from our seats - stuffed like a turkey - and went to our dorms to go to bed.

* * *

The night was quick, and it was already morning here on Saturn. I woke feeling ready for the day. Surprisingly, I wasn't tired. Usually I would be tired from the loss of sleep, but the air on Saturn differs than Earth, it has something called Hetjusode mixed with oxygen to help us stay awake during loss of sleep. You can only get at least two hours of sleep for it to kick in.

I could tell that today was going to be a boring day because it was the first day of classes, and there were probably going to be some introductions, and they would be long. Great!

I got up from my bed, and I looked around me. Megan was still asleep and it was quiet. I walked over to the shower room, took my shower, and headed out to find Megan asleep.

I took my pillow, and started to beat her with it! What fun!

"Hey! What on Earth was that for?!" She yelled.

"Time for school."

"What time does it start?" She asked and rubbed her eyes.

"I don't know."

"You mean, you woke me up for nothing, just so you can beat me with a pillow?!"

"Maybe..." I replied.

She rolled her eyes, and laid back down. "Great, now I can't sleep."

As I walked out to the front door, I noticed that some papers with our names on them slipped into our mailbox.

I picked them up and it was our schedules!

 

Student: Selena Dixon

Sex: Female

Year: Freshmen

ID: 5749057494

Classes in order

1)               English I foundations.....Xjungtha, Mr....Room 129

2)               Pre-Algebra...Crestle, Mrs....room 123

3)               Intro to Computer literacy...Kerp, Mrs....Room 128

4)               Study Hall...Snookie, Mr....Room 421 (optional)

5)               Saturn Government...Snookie, Mr....Room 421

6)               Potions I...Xjung, Ms....Room 302

7)               Sathinish I...Davis, Mr....Room 220

8)               Intro to Dream and sleeping literacy...Sauda, Mr....Room 421

9)               Intro to Physics...Skolte, Dr....Room 219

 

I had reviewed over my schedule, and I had approved of it.

 I didn't realize then I would have misery...

As I went to gather my things, I took another look at my schedule. And that's when I realized I was in a special class. A class for people with special needs.

"Students, you have five minutes to get ready," Huxvey announced.

"CRUD!" Megan yelled and rushed into the bathroom. Waking her up WAS a good thing!

"If you are ready, teachers are ready for their students," She also announced.

Good.

I walked out of the dorm, and headed into my English class. Great...

When I arrived, it looked like a very small classroom with posters all over the walls. The seats were facing the board and the teacher's desk as in front. "Welcome! Please sit wherever," The teacher said. The teacher looked something like a rock star. He almost looked like he came from the 90s!

"Is this English I foundations?" I asked.

"Yup," He replied. "Like I said, it wherever you want."

As I chose a seat that was far away from the teacher as possible, I saw five other students come in. Those were students that had special needs. There's nothing wrong with them; special needs kids are the best. It's just that I signed up for Honors English I and they put me in this class!

"Hello kids! Sit wherever you want, and I will make a seating chart later," The teacher said.

The kids wandered around the room, and everyone decided to sit near me. Oh well... it's only for today.

"Welcome to English I foundation. I am Mrs. Xjungtha. In this class, we will discuss what verbs, nouns, and more," He rambled. "Also how to use them in a simple sentence, and read many short stories. Now, in this class there will be a very small quiz every day..,"

As he was flapping his gums about the class, I started to get sleepy. I must not fall asleep! I must not fall asleep.

I then fell asleep.

"Excuse me miss, is there a problem?" I heard a voice in my sleep ask me.

I didn't respond.

"SELENA!" he yelled. That got me up. Great, how was I going to her out of this one?!

           "Is there a problem?" He asked again.

"I actually think this class is too easy for me,"  I said. Maybe the truth will get me in a better class! "I think this class is a waste of time for me!"

"I don't appreciate you sleeping in my class! If you think this is a waste of time, why don't you go down to the office and stay there!" he yelled. Ouch! I think I made him mad...Oh well, that's his problem.

"Fine," I said with sass.

"Mrs. Corm, can you lead Selena down to the office?" He asked the helper. "Keep her down there because the class will end soon."

"Sure," She replied. "C'mon Selena."

I packed up my things, and headed down to the office to speak to Huxvey.

"Is everything OK?" Huxvey asked as we walked into her office.

"Well, Selena thinks that the class she signed up for is too easy for her," Mrs. Corm said.

"I did not sign up for that class!" I insisted.

"We'll just see about that," Huxvey said, got on her computer, and went to my page. "Apparently, you did sign up for that class. It says right here."

"Now, you see? You were wrong," Mrs. Corm said.

I couldn't believe a teacher would say that to a student! That's just cruel! "I'm saying! I didn't sign up for the class!"

"I'm sorry. Your records say that you did sign up for it, so that is final. You will be in the class for the rest of the year."

"What if it gets too easy?" I asked.

"Then MAYBE we will switch you out," She replied. "Now, it is time for me to go a meeting and for you to go to your second block class."

We walked out of her office, and I headed to my second block class.

 

* * *

When I arrived, the teacher - Mrs. Crestle - pointed out my seat, and I noticed this cute guy was sitting right next to me! What girl doesn't like cute guys sitting next to them?

When everyone was settled in their plastic, hard chairs, I recognized nobody. Oh well, I'll meet more people as the time goes by.

"Welcome to Pre-Algebra!" Mrs. Crestle announced. She looked like an old lady and a twenty three year old woman at the same time. Don't ask me how, because it's hard to explain. She had a dress that matched her earrings and her shoes.

It was beautiful!

"This class is the next step up to Algebra I, so it will be tricky. We won't talk about anything as hard as Calculus, but all sixth-grade math. Now, take out some paper because we will be taking notes."

I got out some paper, and I copied down what Mrs. Crestle put on her iPad that showed on the Mirror-Projector V1095. What is the Mirror-Projector V1095? Well, it's an app that connects to a projector and displays the screen of the iPad through Wi-Fi on the projector.

"Now to figure out the mean of a set of numbers, you add up all of the numbers, and divide them by the number of numbers. For example. The numbers here are sixty, fifty-five, one hundred fifty one, sixty again, and forty-five. What do you get when you add all of these up?"

"Three hundred seventy one!" I yelled out loud. This stuff is easy!

"Now, divide that by how many numbers there are, and what-"

"Sixty one point eighty three; with repeating three," I interrupted and answered.

"Good, but let someone else answer these next questions," Mrs. Crestle demanded, "OK, let's do another problem. If we have twenty, eighty-five, forty-six, thirty-six, fifty-seven, fifteen, thirty-seven, forty-five, twenty-nine, and thirty. What do we get if we all of the numbers up?"

"Four hundred," I answered.

"Good Selena let another person answer this time," Mrs. Crestle demanded again but in a serious tone.

"What do we get when we divide four hundred by ten?"

"Forty," Another student shouted out.

"I think we get the mean, now let's move onto the median of a set of numbers. Can anyone tell me what the median is of a set of numbers?"

"The median is the middle number of numbers in a table - in order- from least to greatest," I answered.

Mrs. Crestle gave me a glare with the most dreadful look on her face.

"Selena, let someone else answer!" she yelled, "If we have forty-nine, twenty-eight, fifty-nine, seventeen, eight, forty-nine, thirty-two, and fifty-six, what is the median?  Do it on your papers."

All of the students did it on their papers, and one kid shouted out "Thirty-two!"

"Correct, let's just say we have six; thirty, twenty-eight, seven, thirteen, and fourteen, what is the median for that?"

Everyone tried to figure it out on their papers, but nobody could figure it out.

Except me.

"Do you know?" Mrs. Crestle asked.

"I do!" I shouted out.

"What?"

"Thirteen point five!"

"Correct, and how did you get that?"

"I put them in order from least to greatest, crossed them off till I got to the two numbers - thirteen and fourteen - and got what was in the middle of it."

"Precisely!" Mrs. Crestle praised, "Now, let's go onto the mode, all the mode does is state the number that occurs most often; what is the mode of eighteen, fifty-eight, twenty-nine, sixty, twenty-eight, sixty-nine, fifteen, sixty, forty-six, and eighteen?"

"Sixty and eighteen!" one kid shouted out before me.

Two can play at this game!

"Good, now the range is just the biggest number minus the smallest number. What is the range of ten, five, seven, twelve, sixty-eight, eight-hundred and twelve, zero, and on?"

"Eight-hundred and twelve," I shouted out before him. I looked behind me at him, and he looked like he would kill me.

"Now, what is the range of sixty-four, forty-two, seventy, sixty-seven, thirty-six, forty-two, seventy-nine, ninety-nine, sixty, fourteen, fifty-six and forty-five?"

"Thirty-eight!" the kid shouted out.

"What if there is fifty, fourteen, twelve, forty six, and eight?"

"No mode," I shouted out.

"I think we get this. Now, we will do a foldable on the differences between the mean, median, mode, and range. Please get up and get a paper from the desk," Mrs. Crestle announced as she pointed at the supply table.

I got up from my table, grabbed the supplies I needed, and sat back down where I found a piece of paper sitting on the table. It was sorta confusing.

 

 

How to make the measures of

Central tendency  foldable!

Please follow these instructions...

 

I sat down and decided to get ahead of everyone, but Mrs. Crestle caught me folding.

"Selena! Do not start on it just yet!" she yelled.

"Sorry," I apologized. I wasn't ‘going to let a teacher run my chance of learning. So, I continued to go ahead.

After everyone got their supplies, Mrs. Crestle began how to assemble it.

"Now, fold the paper hot dog style, and cut three lines from the top, to the crease," she announced as she did the example over the Projector, "Selena! You aren't doing this with us!" Mrs. Crestle yelled.

"I finished it already!" I yelled back and showed her that I completed the foldable.

"Because you disobeyed directions, I will give you a detention,"  Mrs. Crestle announced as she went over to her computer and typed something in Teacher Portal, "You will be called by Huxvey by the end of the day for your detention."

"Why?" I asked, "You gave us this sheet to show us what we had to do!"

"No, I gave it to you so if you get lost, it will explain it better."

"Well, you should have said that before!" I yelled back.

"Another detention for yelling at the teacher!" Mrs. Crestle said as she headed back to the computer and wrote me up again! Like, come on woman! I didn't understand the directions and you give me a write up! What type of teacher are you?

"Why must you write me up for something I didn't understand?!" I asked.

"Well, it says on top of the paper ‘Do this with me!'" Mrs. Crestle explained.

"No, it doesn't!" I yelled.
"Whatever, I'm not arguing with you," Mrs. Crestle said and went back to showing the rest of the class how to assemble it.

 

You must login (register a new account) to review.