- Text Size +

"Got everything?" Mom yelled up the stairs to my room.

"Yeah!" I yell back as I came down to the foyer.

"Toothbrush?"

"Yup." I say as I set down my suitcase. "I'm all set."

"Make sure, Selena!"

"I have double checked! I have everything," I counter. The day had gone by quick, and it was already June 1st. The day I leave. I knew nobody that was going with me, and I was nervous. I wasn't even sure if this was real. "Ready."
         "Oh, by the way. They will distribute laptops to all the freshmen this year, so you don't need one." She adds as we start walking out of the house.
                    I got the feeling that the laptops they have were going to be junk. On Earth, I go to Wood Creek High School as a, now, graduated sophomore, and they have a laptop program. The laptops suck there, so I assume they'd be the same on Saturn.
                    "Can I use my own?" I asked as I get into the car. "No. Nor can you use your phone."
                    Well that's stupid. "How do I contact you?"

 "If you ever need to contact me, you will have to send something called a Feleth which is basically a modified phone." She said as she started the car.

"Oh,"

 "When you arrive at the school, you will receive a uniform, a headband, a robe, and some socks that you will have to wear for the school day," Mom explained from a piece of paper she had with her.

"Where did you get that?"

"They have to communicate with us as well, don't they?"

True...

"So, where is the launchpad at, Mom?" I found myself wondering.

"It's near Handwire Park. Just a couple turns till you leave the atmosphere." Mom tries to hide some tears falling down her face.

I try to comfort as best as I can, but what do you say to someone who's sending their daughter into outer space. "Oh, Mom." I'm so young and already leaving the nest. This is probably why she's hid the letter from me for so long.

 

* * *

We finally reached the Launch pad, and it was bigger than I had expected. There were many other kids there with their parents, but they looked like they were thirteen or fourteen year-olds. I'm sixteen, so that's a problem.

As we grabbed our stuff and got out of the car, this elf-like-man walked up to us. He sorta looked like the aliens you find on the Sims 2.

if you have lived in a cave all your life, and never played the Sims 2, the alien character looks like..well...a green alien with huge eyes. i mean, those things are bigger than it's stomach!

Google it. You'll be surprised...

"Welcome! May I have a name?" he asked.

"This is Selena Dixon, and I am her mother. Vanessa Dixon."

"Okay, let me just check off you're here," He said and tapped on his iPad-like-tablet.

"Wait, if that letter was sitting in your safe, how do they know I'm coming?" I asked mom.

"Remember that time i told you not to get the mail? That saturday?"

"yea?"

"The letter was in there."

Sneaky woman...

 "You're in! Now, you will be placed in section 14G, on the right side. We will take your stuff," I couldn't stand that squeaky voice!

"Well... Goodbye Mom," I said and she started to tear up.

"I will see you when school lets out," She said and hugged me.

After she let go of my body, my stuff was already carried off by one of the workers, and I walked away from her. It hurt that I had to leave my mother to go to school on another planet. It just hurt.

I looked back at my mother for the last time, and then I boarded the bus. Before I entered, the pressure was killing me. I just couldn't do it. I had to turn around, and run to my mother, crying like a little girl. "I can't leave you!"

"Selena, you have to go. You need defense."

"I can't!"

"Go, I will be fine," She said and let me go and walked me to the train. She stopped before I boarded the train, and I hugged her for the last time. The pain was just unbearable. I couldn't do it, but I had to be brave.

I forced myself onto the bus, and I walked to train 14G, and sat down in the box-like-section they provided. It had a glass door, and two couches. One on each side of the walls.

I tried to pull myself together and tried not to cry, but I forced myself to sit down.

Then the time hit. The train started to move. I looked out the window, and I waved Mom goodbye for the last time.

She waved back, and wiped a tear from her face.

And off we went.

You must login (register a new account) to review.