- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I do not own Criminal Minds or any of the characters.

 

 

Emily and JJ spread out the old quilt on the ground in a fresh patch of green grass. Spring was in full swing in D.C. and they were determined to enjoy an afternoon in the park with Henry. They had brought a picnic lunch with all of his favorites: peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, bar-b-q potato chips, mac and cheese, and apple pie for dessert. They sat on the tattered old quilt that had been made by JJ's grandmother. It was pink, blue, green, and purple. All shades that reminded JJ of spring. She drank in the crisp, fresh air as Emily passed around the food they had brought.

"JJ this was a wonderful idea," Emily said as she spread out on the quilt after lunch.

"Thanks. I've been known to have a couple in my day," JJ smiled at her friend as she watched her young son run to the playground equipment.

"Spring always brings back so many memories," Emily grinned as the memories of her first kiss flooded her mind.

"I always think of new love when I think of spring," JJ admitted. "Everything is new, fresh, renewed. Makes me feel young, beautiful."

"You are young and beautiful," Emily complimented her friend.

They lay there on the quilt, chatting about past springs. JJ told Emily the story about her first time, with a boy named Eric back home in Pennsylvania. Eric was now married with four kids and a dog. Emily recounted a story in which she had gotten busted by the police in Rome for breaking in to an abandoned warehouse to have sex with her boyfriend.

"Hey, I was a hellion back in the day," Emily admitted. "I could get away with anything so I tried it all."

"I was too busy being a good girl to have too much fun," JJ said.

"Well it paid off in the long run. You're a happy, well-adjusted adult with a beautiful family.  I had to fake my own death last year. Being a good girl worked for you."

"You're not doing too bad for a dead chick," JJ pointed out.

"But I'm afraid to get close to anyone. Then I'd have to admit how bad I was," Emily lamented.

At that moment, Henry ran back to the two women clutching a handful of flowers.

"I picked these for Mommy and Auntie Emily!" He smiled wide as he handed them the flowers.

"Aw, thanks little man! That's so sweet," JJ said, hugging her young son.

"Thanks, Henry. Aren't you just a little gentleman?" Emily patted him on the head.

"I go play more now! Bye!" He ran off as he waved at his mom and her friend.

JJ and Emily continued to chat about life and love, until Emily looked up and saw something that brought a smile to her face.

"JJ, would you look at that," she said, pointing.

"What is going on over there?" JJ strained her eyes to take in the scene. A little girl, about Henry's age, was standing next to him on the playground. He was handing her a little flower like the ones he'd just given them. In response, the little girl pushed up on her tip toes and planted a kiss right on Henry's lips.

"Oh my goodness! She just kissed him!" JJ exclaimed. "Look at that, my little man is already turning into a lady's man."

"You're going to have your hands full with that one," Emily said.

"First kiss at 3? Yeah I'd say so," JJ laughed. They spent the rest of the afternoon watching Henry play and enjoying the scenes of spring.

 

 

 

You must login (register a new account) to review.