- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Flowers and chocolates to my extremely dedicated PTB betas, Pain Jane and beautiful.nightmare.x. Reading, finding, and correcting errors seems like such a tiresome job. I don't know how these terrific gals do it! With the number of mistakes I've made, I would be giving up on me! But they surely didn't. I think betas are sorely underappreciated. Pain Jane and beautiful.nightmare.x, I hope you can feel my love all the way from down under! xoxoxo

 

 

CHAPTER 8

 

 

Edward granted me my one and only wish. For our honeymoon, he took me on an unforgettable trip around the world. I was amazed by the strange-looking people and their even stranger clothes, their heavy accents, and their food that was so different to ours. I was fearful at first because everything seemed so new, a far cry from the small Italian restaurant he had taken me to in Ford. They had technology so advanced it made me a little sad when I thought about my home town’s insignificance. Oh, if only the proud villagers of Ford could see this now! Perhaps they wouldn't be too arrogant. But as we discovered each new city and their hidden treasures, I was filled with exhilaration. I threw my fears and cautions to the wind and embraced my inner adventuress.

 

Edward was wonderful. He comforted me at the beginning when I was too scared to step out of the ship and onto a bizarre new country. He patiently encouraged me until I felt strong enough to go exploring with him. He knew a few languages and acted as my interpreter most of the time, increasing my admiration for him even more.

 

Each place we went to was amazing, and I had never felt so lucky in my life. I felt as if I had aged because of all that I had seen and learned, even though it was only a few months since we left the docks of Settle. My favorites were Greece, Italy, and France. They had an ancient feel to them that was unbearably romantic, as if a chariot drawn by horses would fit as perfectly with the scenery as a racing sports car would. Although I didn't tell this to him outright, he must have sensed my pleasure when we roamed their cobbled streets because near the end of our journey, he declared he had associates in these places whom he would visit in the future, and that he wanted me to go with him.

 

The trip was exciting, but I was relieved when we finally settled in his ten-bedroom home. I was tired from the fast-paced life in those more advanced cities and appreciated the quiet, restful days in the Cullen estate.

 

It took me a long time to see what his words on our wedding day meant, but I finally did. How could I not? Every day, Edward never failed to tell me how much he loved me or show me how important I was to him. If I had to write down every sweet, thoughtful, crazy thing he had done for me, I would run out of paper. What had I ever done to deserve someone so perfect for me?

 

In the end, I acknowledged that I was beautiful and had nothing to be ashamed of. After about a month with him, I stopped looking at mirrors because I simply didn't care about how other people saw me, just as long as I was desirable in his eyes. That wasn't too difficult to attain. I didn't need to paint my face, to rearrange my hair or wear ornaments just as the sophisticated women in the big cities did. All I had to do was be myself and he was content.

 

Our house in Settle felt more like home than Ford ever did to me. The people there adored Edward as he proved to be a generous, fair, and helpful neighbor. It seemed like their love for him transferred to me too. Besides, they were more educated, open-minded and less inclined to judge and ridicule. Gone were the petty gossips. In their place were kind people who gave me a sense of belongingness I unfortunately had not felt in Ford.

 

I tried my best to be a good wife. I never had to do manual labour for the rest of my life because he equipped the house with a full staff. Instead, I taught myself with the books in his extensive library, I managed his household, accompanied him to some of his business trips, cooked for him (because he seemed to like it), and entertained his guests. I felt more confident dealing with people here because they treated me more favourably than ever before. I could only look back with a rueful smile at my long-gone days of shyness and low self-worth.

 

Now, it was June. Edward and I had been living in wedded bliss for several months, but we decided to break the spell and face reality once more when we return to Ford for the Winter Festival. I almost wanted to bail, to stay in our safe little bubble, but he knew I missed my family and that we had to face them eventually. He said I was now strong enough to face the occasional demeaning person in my previous hometown. Besides, we got word that Alice was pregnant, and I wanted to see her and show her and Jasper how happy I was for them.

 

Before our trip, however, a guest arrived. I found out from some of the household staff that the man was a foreign trader who had gone to Ford, where he heard news of my husband's business prowess. I immediately began preparations for his stay and oversaw the dishes we were to serve him while my husband entertained him in the adjoining sitting room. As I set the dining room table out of their sight, I could hear the two men talking.

 

“Hello. I'm Edward Cullen.” I heard my husband introduce himself.

 

“It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Cullen,” a deep, accented voice said. “My name is Jacob Black.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

Yup. Jake's in my little fic, too. Didn't see that coming, did ya? Next chapter is the last chapter guys. Get ready for some fluff. ^.^

You must login (register a new account) to review.