- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you Edwardsfavoritebrunette and Angelz1114577 for your waymazing beta skills! :-*

* "Bride price" is gold, cattle, or any other possession the groom gives the bride's family before the wedding. This is not the same as "dowry", which is something the bride's family gives to the groom. It was a common practice among people a long, long time ago, although it is still done nowadays is some Asian countries. It's an intriguing tradition, honestly. You guys can Google it if you want to know more. ;-)
CHAPTER 6

The wedding was to take place the morning after the negotiation for the price of the bride. I didn't dwell on the negotiation because I knew for a fact how wealthy my future husband was. He wouldn't have any problem paying my father the thirty sheep required for a woman of the plainest face or the lowest status.

My cousins, Jasper and Emmett, insisted that I was worth more than that. They convinced my father to demand sixty to ninety sheep from Edward. They were good men, my cousins, but their love for me blinded them to the sad fact that I was only a thirty-sheep-woman. Even the townspeople agreed with me, as I overheard the old wives' gossip while I hung clothes to dry outside the cottage.

I wasn't bothered too much by the gossip; I'd been living with it all my life. I didn't care how much Edward paid for me. All I thought about was coming home to Settle and becoming a good wife to my husband.

I was only bothered when old Mrs. Mallory next-door commented to Mrs. Crowley, "It's almost noon and Mr. Cullen still hasn't arrived. He must've thought better after sleeping on it and realised what he was getting himself into. Seriously! How could he marry Bella? My daughter, Lauren, is far lovelier than she could ever hope to be!" This was followed by their derisive laughter.

For a moment, all the doubts and anxieties that Edward tried to erase from my mind this past week returned in full swing. How could he say one thing while the rest of the town said another? I felt my heart sink as I thought about Mrs. Mallory's words.

However, I was instantly comforted when I heard Edward approaching. I dried my hands and hurried to meet him upfront. I smiled happily as he got off his horse and touched my calloused hand to his lips.

Then he turned to the negotiation council, which was composed of the village elders, my father, Emmett, and Jasper. My cousins stood at their full height with serious expressions on their faces while Father nervously wrung his hands. I knew how hard he had tried to find me a husband before, and now that it was happening, he didn't want anything to go wrong. I knew he would settle for whatever price Edward was willing to give.

They entered our humble dwelling and sat down for the meeting. I retreated to the doorway of the kitchen, watching silently.

"Charlie Swan," Edward addressed my father in a formal tone, "I, Edward Cullen, wish to marry your daughter, Isabella."

"How much do you offer in exchange for her hand, Edward?" Father asked.

"How much do you want?" Edward countered.

"N-ninety sheep," Father replied anxiously. My cousins nodded in agreement.

"Hmm... Ninety sheep is a lot," Edward commented. "But I am willing to offer two hundred and forty sheep for Bella."

"Two hundred-forty?" Father, Jasper, Emmett, and I cried out in shock.

My mind whirled with this sudden development. What an outrageous price! Rosalie, who was the most beautiful girl in town, only got one hundred-fifty sheep from Emmett, who had to work day and night to come up with that amount. I was nowhere near as pretty as Rose.

The old men were probably thinking about her too because they were shaking heads and quietly arguing among themselves. I caught "Preposterous!" and "Madness!" thrown in here and there.

My poor father looked like he didn't know what to do.

"Uncle, say yes before he comes to his senses and changes his mind!" Emmett said as quietly as he could, but his excitement caused everyone to hear him. Edward fought to hide a grin.

"Y-yes! Yes I accept." Father choked out, shaking his head out of his stupor.

After Edward shook hands with the men, I hurried into his arms. "Edward! Why would you do such a thing? People will think you're crazy or blind!" I told him worriedly.

"I am neither blind nor crazy, my love," he assured me, cradling my face in his warm hand. "Remember, I don't care what other people think. What do you think?"

I laughed, somewhat hysterically. "I think I've been in a rather strange dream these past days."

"No Bella, this is not a dream," he declared, looking into my eyes. "This is real."
Chapter End Notes:

I've always wanted to use that awe-inspiring, meaningful word from my favourite Suzanne Collins book, "Mockingjay". And now I get to do it! Yay! :)

You must login (register a new account) to review.