- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hugs and kisses to my lovely betas from PTB, babykay16 and 2Shaes, for their awesome suggestions!
CHAPTER 5

Edward spent the rest of the week with me. He came early in the morning and left for his nearby vacation cottage in the evening. Alice and Rose didn't come around anymore, claiming they were behind on their chores. I was thankful for the privacy they were giving me and Edward. I got to know the man beneath the appealing facade. And he was fantastic, the perfect gentleman. I lived the days as if in a daze, still not quite believing that he was with me instead of someone more interesting. Like Jessica, for instance.

At the end of the week, he stayed later than usual. Just a few minutes before my father was to arrive, he sat beside me and took my hand. "Bella," he whispered. "I have to tell you something."

I let go of the shirt I was folding and looked up at him. My breath caught at the seriousness in his expression. He's saying goodbye, I thought frantically. His week-long holiday is over and he needs to go back home.

I voiced out my suspicions. He nodded silently, causing me to drop my head to hide the tears forming. When we first met, I thought nothing about not seeing him again. But now that I knew him, knew that he was as kind and gentle as he was outwardly beautiful, I could not stop the sob from escaping my mouth.

"What's the matter?" he asked me softly. He lifted my face up and wiped away my tears.

I shrugged. "I'm just sad, is all," I said nonchalantly, but the tears that continued to flow betrayed my true feelings.

"And why would you be sad?" he prodded.

"Because this is the last time we'll be seeing each other again."

"That's not true. I have business in this town. I will be returning here regularly."

"Yes, but it would be months until you come back." I struggled to put into words what was eating at me every day. "You might forget about me by then."

He sighed. "That will never happen, Bella." He urged me to look at him to see his sincerity. "What would you have me do?"

I had never been comfortable with expressing myself so openly with anybody, not even my family. But these past few days taught me something. "I-I don't want you to end this. I want to be with you always," I said shyly.

"You shall have your wish." He smiled at me. "If you agree, I will take you with me to Settle as my wife."

I was dumbfounded. I had been expecting some words of affection because of our growing friendship. I had never dreamed he would speak to me about marriage.

"But, why?" I whispered.

"I know this may seem too soon, Bella, but it is the truth. I love you," he said, gazing at me tenderly.

"Why?" I repeated, desperately wanting but failing to understand.

"Why is it too hard to believe? Don't you think you are worthy of love?" he demanded.

I lowered my eyes and clenched my hands. No, I was not worthy to be loved, not by a wondrous man who was so obviously out of my reach. It made no sense whatsoever.

I bit my lip nervously as I realized that if I told him what I was thinking, I'd risk losing him. Still, I needed to make him understand. "You are known as the sharpest trader throughout the islands, Edward. Surely you must realize that, with me, you are gaining nothing. I am not beautiful, nor am I educated. And I have no money."

He shook his head. "You know my past. If it weren't for Carlisle, I would still be living on the streets. He helped me make money effortlessly, but all those riches seemed empty somehow. Finding you finally gave me something to live for."

He unclenched my hands and threaded his fingers through mine. I couldn't help looking up at him as he continued his explanation.

"The day we met, when you dropped into my lap, you were like an angel from the heavens. I've never seen anyone so lovely and so innocent. And when Mike scared you away with his careless words, all I wanted to do was to find you and apologize for his actions. But you were suddenly gone and I tried to find you. Later, I saw you again, this time after you saved that same man who was so awful to you.

"You are selfless, Bella. So inherently good. You make me strive to be better than I am." He cradled my face in his hands. "So beautiful, too. Why no one else sees it, I will never understand. But in my selfish way I am happy because no one else will claim you and take you away from me."

I was sobbing now, because everything I'd ever wanted but thought I'd never have was finally happening. It felt so surreal.

"Do you love me too, Bella?"

I didn't think he should ask, because it was impossible not to love him. Besides, I was an open book by now. But in the off-chance that he was as insecure as I felt and he needed to hear it, I relented. "Yes, Edward. I love you, too."

His smile was blinding even in the darkness of the night. "Will you marry me?"

"Yes!" I cried out in joy, boldly seeking his lips for a kiss.

He lifted me off my feet and spun me around, making me giddy with happiness. It was the first time he held me in his arms because he always kept a respectful distance, but this felt so right.

The door opened, and Father walked in. He took in our clasped hands and bright faces, and he grinned slowly. "Do we need to break out the champagne?" he joked.

"Charlie, I know I should have asked you first. But since Bella already agreed..."

"What are you trying to say, Edward?" Father asked quietly.

"Bella and I are getting married, Charlie, and it would make us very happy if you gave us your blessing."

Father didn't say anything for a moment. "Huh. I wasn't expecting that."

"I know it's a bit soon, Father, but we both want this," I said with conviction.

"Well, as long as my little girl is happy, I'm happy," Father softly replied, getting a little teary-eyed. He turned to Edward. "Thank you, Son."

They discussed the bridal price negotiation, which was a tradition in our islands. After reaching an agreement on the date and venue, Edward gave me a chaste kiss goodbye and left.

Even after I had accepted his proposal, after my father gave us his blessing, or even after Edward said goodbye, I was still having trouble believing it.

Edward Cullen wanted to marry me.
Chapter End Notes:

The lady doth protest too much, don't ya think? Dramatically short, yeah? Up next is the bridal price negotiation! For those of you who have read "Johnny Lingo", you guys know what I'm talking about. :)

You must login (register a new account) to review.